Friday, April 27, 2012

Predator or Prey

Earlier this week I went to my friend's book launch. As in any relatively small community, I know most of the readers who turn out to support local writers. When I walked into the meeting room, one friend pointed to my sweatshirt and laughed. I wore my favorite book shirt: Careful, or you'll end up in my novel. My friend asked if she could be in my novel. I told her I was writing a tongue-in-cheek novel about a female serial killer. I then asked if she wanted to be predator or prey. She said, "Let me think about it."

After the book talk, Q&A and book signing, my friend walked up and said, "Both. I want to be both predator and prey."

Now that was a new answer. Both, huh? I told her I'd think about it. And think about it I have. I can make my friend a killer who the main character eventually realizes has to die. Maybe the main character has a god complex. Maybe she's a vigilante. Maybe she's just evil. Time will tell.

I can tell you it was a challenge to find a plot twist where my friend can kill someone and then be killed herself. I woke up at four yesterday morning and realized just how to do it. Now, I have to write that chapter. I won't give anything away but it involves one little old lady, one bigger less-old lady and the main character. Maybe my friend will recognize her idea. Maybe not. I'll have fun writing the scene no matter what.

And Kay, you don't have to worry about me being dangerous. I'm not, but my main character is very, very dangerous. Thank you for a wonderful suggestion.

3 comments:

  1. Since it was MY book launch you attended, I have to add my 2 cents. In a way, that very thing happens in my latest book. Right? I just never thought of it that way. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. Justice served! Nice title too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm intrigued. Can't wait to see how you pull it off!

    ReplyDelete